SWABS is incorporated under the laws of the State of Arizona. We are a non-profit 501©3 organization without capital stock. All donations/pledges received by SWABS are tax deductible. Our logo is a representation of the Buffalo Soldier statue located at the “Buffalo Soldier Legacy Plaza”, Fort Huachuca, Arizona.
MEMBERSHIP is only $25 Download application here.
Our Goals and Objectives
We are organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes to:
- Save and restore The Mountain View Colored Officers’ Club.
- Research all aspects of Black men and women in the service of our Nation during the time of segregation.
- Inform the general public of the historical significance of the Buffalo Soldiers.
- Plan and organize annual “Salute to Buffalo Soldier Days” in Sierra Vista/Fort Huachuca, Arizona.
- Conduct an annual “Spirit of the Buffalo Soldier Academic AwarDs program for 4th grade through high school students.
- Award an annual college scholarship.
- Establish an African American Research Center
Chairman of the Board: Billie J. Holloway
President: Charles Hancock
Vice President: Demetria Warren
Second Vice President: Earnest Calhoun
Treasurer: Bessie Bradford
Secretary: LaVerne Jenkins
Corresponding Secretary: Harlan Bradford
Member at Large: Charles Fortenberry
Guided Tour of Buffalo Soldier Historic Sites
Learn about the accomplishments and history of Fort Huachuca’s Buffalo Soldiers. Reservations required. Call (520) 220-0153 for details. Note: Fort Huachuca is an active military installation. US citizens may take the tour, must provide valid photo identification if over age 12.
All will be subject to a background check before being allowed entry to the installation. Those who present a common access card (CAC card), Military ID, Military Dependent ID, Gold Star ID, or other valid DoD credential won’t be affected.